Top 25 Interesting Facts About Lionel Messi
Lionel Messi is arguably the best footballer in the world. Messi is one of the greatest forwards in soccer who plays for the Argentina national team and Spanish club FC Barcelona. Here are 25 interesting facts about Lionel Messi.
- Lionel Messi was born on June 24, 1987 in Rosario, Argentina.
- His full name is Luis Lionel Andres Messi.
- He is the third youngest he has 2 brothers and a sister.
- After scoring a goal, Messi typically celebrates in a calm and composed manner by simply raising both hands in the air. This gesture is to thank and pay tribute to his grandmother who was very close to him and passed away when he was 10.
- Lionel’s nickname is “The Flea” due to his speed and agility.
- Lionel Messi is 5′ 7″ tall (1.69 metres).
- Messi was diagnosed with a growth hormone deficiency at the age of 11. His treatment cost was $900 a month, which is not affordable for his middle class family.
- Lionel rakes in more than $35 million a year in salary.
- He was so skillful from his very childhood with football like he is today. FC Barcelona’s sporting director Carles Rexach was so impressed watching his footballing skills that he made Messi at the age of 13, signed for Barcelona on a napkin paper. He wanted to make the deal immediately and at that time there was no paper available on that place.
- Messi does not like to watch highlights of himself.
- He won an Olympic gold medal, along with the Argentinian football team, at the 2008 Olympic games in Beijing.
- Japanese jeweller Ginza Takana used a cast of Messi’s left foot to create a solid gold replica, weighing 25 kilograms which went on sale in Japan in March 2013 to raise funds for victims of the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami. It was valued at $5.25 million.
- Messi shares his birthplace with the Argentinian revolutionary Che Guevera.
- He was the first player to win three European Golden Shoe awards.
- Messi made his league debut at the age of 17 against RCD Espanyol and became the third youngest player ever to play for Barcelona. He made himself the youngest player ever for Barcelona to score.
- Lionel Messi is an Olympic gold medalist in 2008, Beijing along with Argentina football team. For Barcelona he has won six La Ligas, two copas Del Rey, five Supercups, three UEFA Champions Leagues, two Club World Cups and two UEFA Super Cups.
- His son Thiago Messi was born on November 2, 2012. Thiago is already an official member of the Newell’s old Boys’ supporters club at the age of 72 hours.
- Messi scored the most goals in a calendar year (86 in 2012).
- At the age of 24, Messi became Barcelona’s all time top scorer in all official club competitions.
- He also won the 2010–11 UEFA Best Player in Europe Award.
- He was once offered a chance to play for the Spanish national team but he said no.
- Messi is a Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF. He also works in support of people suffering from Fragile X Syndrome.
- Lionel’s cousins Emanuel and Maxi Biancucchi both play for solid clubs in South America, although neither had made the leap to a premier club or senior national team.
- Messi is the founder of the organization, Leo Messi Foundation, which helps give children the best opportunities for education and health care. His foundation, with the help of Herbalife, helps to pay for medical treatment, transportation and recuperation for children diagnosed with major medical problems.